Midwest School of Pet Grooming
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT LIST
What Do I Need for Class?
Without our tools, we groomers would be pretty helpless. Students of Midwest are required to purchase their own equipment prior to enrollment. The cost of your tools will be approximately 500 to 1,000 dollars, depending on what and where you buy your equipment.
Speaking of where…there are plenty of places to find grooming tools. We have our preferences but that is just our opinion. We suggest doing your research before investing your money. Be aware of online retailers and possible warranty issues with clippers, scissors and blades.
When in doubt, buy local. If something goes wrong, at least you have a place to return for exchange or service. We are incredibly fortunate to have a local grooming supply store close by. The Midwest Grooming Supply located in Lake Barrington has most things a student could need. Visit Chuck at 4 N. Hillview Drive, Unit D or call at 847-842-8422
Call Now to
Enroll in Classes
Tools and Equipment List
- 1 “Notes from the Grooming Table” by Melissa Verplank (blue or brown) and / or
- 1 “Dog Grooming Simplified, Straight to the Point” by Jodi Murphy
- 1 “Theory of 5” by Melissa Verplank (optional)
- 1 complete AKC book of dogs (optional)
- 1 Andis, Wahl, Furzon, or comparable detachable-blade 2-speed clipper
- 1 each of the following clipper blades:
- 4F, 5F, 7F, 10, 15, 30, 40 (no skip tooth blades)
- 1 set of stainless steel attachment combs for detachable blades – 8 count (Wahl preferred; no magnetic attachment combs, please)
- 1 Wahl 5-in-1 cordless clipper (optional but highly recommended)
- 1 set of stainless steel attachment combs for 5-in-1 blades, 8 count (Wahl preferred, optional but recommended)
- 1 greyhound comb
- 1 universal slicker brush
- 1 small soft slicker brush
- 1 pair of ear / eye scissors
- 1 small matt splitter (Safari brand preferred)
- 1 large matt splitter
- 1 1/2 oz. styptic powder
- 1 ear powder
- 1 pair of nail trimmers (we love the Aussie Dog brand)
- 1 jar of Andis Blade Care Plus blade wash
- 1 can of Andis Cool Care Plus Spray
- 1 de-shedding rake
- 1 hemostat
- 1 flea comb
- 1 furminator-style blade
- 1 8.5″ straight shear*
- 1 thinning shear*
- 1 8.5″ curved shear*
While not inclusive to grooming, this list represents a good starter kit for groomers. You will discover additional tools and products you may wish to purchase as you learn what works best for you. Also note, while not mandatory, it is recommended to purchase at least two of the clipper blades listed above.
*Shears (scissors) can be expensive. Because beginning groomers are not familiar with the differences in shears and what to expect, we encourage you to wait until you are actually in class to purchase shears. That will allow you a chance to learn what type, length, etc., suits your needs.